[Distutils] Static metadata using setup.cfg

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Sep 8 05:42:36 CEST 2009

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:18:09 +0900, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>> I can see your intentions here are good. But what you are suggesting is
>> just overly complicated for what is required. There's no need for a
>> templating engine, in this part of distutils.
>>

> Compared to other parts of distutils, that's very simple, and actually
> useful and well established practice.

Perphaps. But why make the simplest part as complex as the most complex.

> having if/then don't make distutils more complicated.

There's no debate about that. The need for an if/else is clear.

What is up for discussion is having it in python code or
template code.

> The point of those
> 'dynamic' features in the static metadata is that a vast majority of
> projects can be *fully* described without a setup.py file - without it,
> very few packages would fall in that category.

Too complex a statement for me to comment on...

> Once you can describe a non trivial subset of all python packages with a
> static metadata file, it means you can use it without using distutils
> itself, which is a very big plus.

Yes. That's why I have been pushing and pushing for this...

> Actually, almost every one I have ever seen does. Which installation
> system does not use a templating engine of some sort ? That's a very
> common practice.

I originally said, templating isn't required for for a "install-my-hellow
world". Innosetup, NSIS under windows are examples of install systems that
don't require any templating to make a simple installation file.

Regards

David