[Distutils] Distutils and Distribute roadmap (and some words on Virtualenv, Pip)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Oct 28 15:18:12 CET 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> From that I infer that most people use tools like buildout or pip to
>> manage installation, even on Windows.
>
> I am skeptical about this claim because up to recently, virtualenv did
> not even work correctly for windows when you needed to build a C
> extension (bug which has been fixed since then),

I don't use virtualenv and I didn't mention it for that reason. Buildout
has behaved just fine in all my use of it...

>  and setuptools from 2
> weeks ago could not even produce workable entry points for scripts on 64
> bits windows (fixed in last setuptools 0.6.9c11).

"even" seems to imply this is a basic requirement. I wonder how many
people are rolling out python apps on Win64? I'm certainly not...

> I think it is also important to keep in mind that not everybody use the
> same workflow - I myself build a lot of non trivial python softwares on
> many platforms, and the whole virtualenv/buildout/pip workflows is very
> foreign to me, and do not fit at all how I want to build and deploy
> things.

How do you build and deploy things?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk