[Distutils] [RFC] PEP 345 and PEP 386 updates

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 16:17:58 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:39:51AM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> PEP 345 is the PEP for the new metadata format, replacing PEP 314. I
> have upgraded it, using Tres's work from last year, and the next step
> is to add the context marker presented in PEP 390.
>
> I have also updated PEP 386 to link it to PEP 345.
[...]
> Please comment!

In PEP 345 the Provides-Dist field mentions that when you use a
virtual distribution you automatically conflict with other
distributions providing this virtual dist.  The next field,
Obsoletes-Dist, explicitly says it's to conflict with another dist.  I
guess you can obsolte a dist without providing it, but when would this
be used?  Basically I don't fully understand the intended manings and
interactions of Provides-Dist and Obsoletes-Dist.

Also a minor typo in the Requires-External field: the examples just
use "Requires" as field name.

Regards
Floris