[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

Piotr Ozarowski ozarow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:24:12 CEST 2009

Hi list,

I'm a Debian developer who is interested in changes you want to
introduce so I'll add my 2 cents from time to time if you don't mind.

[Chris Withers, 2009-10-21]
> David Lyon wrote:
>>> Why is it that you basically want to put an entire module's worth of
>>> code inside every single package's setup.py?
>>
>> Because it is easy.

and when there's a bug in this module you want all packages to be
reuploaded instead of uploading the one with a bug?

We already have to patch setup.py files f.e. to remove ez_setup which
hardcodes setuptools versions (so we cannot use newer one) or tries to
download packages from internet (that are not really needed at build
time).

>> Well, 500 lines is just this week. Maybe by next week it will be even more.
>>
>> If the file is 100kb long, I don't think a user would care.

oh, reviewing 100kb setup.py files to see why they don't work with
Python 2.X (and worked fine with Python 2.Y) sounds like fun ;-P