[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Oct 21 10:14:41 CEST 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:02:40 +0100, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
wrote:

>> If the file is 100kb long, I don't think a user would care.
>
> I'm "a user" in this case, and I care... The maintenance burden a file
> like the setup.py you're proposing places on me as a package author in
> making sure the packages I maintain all include the right setup.py, and
> needing to bump my package's versions when code that has nothing to do
> with my package has bugs fixed isn't acceptable.

ok. But nobody I know in software can stop new patches and versions
of software from being made. Versions advance.. For some it's even a
day job.

>> I don't think users in the real world will look at the file..
>
> What happens for the author of one of the small number of packages that
> actually needs to have logic in setup.py?

That's another issue. I'm providing external pre-install and post-install
script hooks.

To answer the question - It's too early to tell. I'm flexible.

We'll see. A lot of code to write still.

David