[Distutils] Buildbot throwing a gear after default setup?

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 01:36:31 CEST 2009

On Oct 16, 2009, at 7:21 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 1:13 AM, ssteinerX at gmail.com
> <ssteinerx at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 16, 2009, at 7:04 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>>> Nathan is right, but this Distutils test was supposed to check if
>>> zlib
>>> is supported before its run,
>>>
>>> I have fixed it in r75450. So you should be OK now.
>>>
>>> Thanks for noticing !
>>
>> Cool, no problem.  I also reported it in the buildbot project on
>> BitBucket.
>>
>> Odd thing is:
>>
>> ssteiner at ubuntu:~/distutils-builbot$ cat bin/test
>> #!/usr/bin/python
>> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>>
>> ssteiner at ubuntu:~/distutils-builbot$ /usr/bin/python
>> Python 2.6.2 (release26-maint, Apr 19 2009, 01:58:18)
>> [GCC 4.3.3] on linux2
>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
>> information.
>>
>> works fine, so I'm not sure why it thinks it's not able to get zlib.
>
> Python gets build from scratch everytime here, and "test" just runs
> a subprocess
> to call the "other" python located in the buildbot.
>
> IOW the way python is built in the bbot, is now using your system's
> zlib support...

No, the Python I called was the system python in /usr/bin, I see that
test is grabbing the trunk checkout python in python = os.path.join
(root, 'parts', 'trunk-checkout', 'python', 'python') which is NOT
built with zlib.

The error is in the build of the trunk checkout -- zlib is in my
system python just fine; it's just not in the python built from the
trunk checkout:

ssteiner at ubuntu:~/distutils-builbot$ parts/trunk-checkout/python/python
Python 2.7a0 (trunk:75449, Oct 16 2009, 16:08:27)
[GCC 4.3.3] on linux2
 >>> import zlib
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>