[Distutils] Setuptools 0.6c10 release imminent; please test

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 02:14:59 CEST 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 7:48 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:

> At 07:28 PM 10/12/2009 -0400, ssteinerX at gmail.com wrote:
>> we must "uninstall Distribute completely" get these fixes.
>
> That's Distribute's doing, not mine.  As I understand it, their
> package includes a 'setuptools' package, and if it's on your
> sys.path, then installing the new version of setuptools will be a no-
> op.  If they hadn't done that, there'd be no problem.  See the
> Distribute documentation.
>
> In any case, the update is not intended for people who are happy to
> have Distribute, but the people who are unhappy about having to
> switch, or deal with its workarounds...  or just wish the whole
> discussion would go away.
>
>> Then suddenly out of the blue
>
> It may appear sudden to you, if you haven't been reading Python-
> Dev.  There's been quite a bit of discussion about an urgent bug
> that Tarek introduced in Python 2.6.3.  It's mainly because of that
> bug that I took the time to go ahead and get a bunch of other
> pending bugs cleaned up and checked in.

No, I've been reading Python-Dev right along.

Yes, Python 2.6.3 included a change that broke a year-old, orphaned
product, in severe need of bug fixes that lots of people just happen
to depend on.

The fall-down was in the testing done before the Python release and
I'm sure more testing will be done in that area before the 2.6.4
bugfix release.

I find it kind of comical, and a little pathetic, that you think you
can just whip out a bug fix after a year of frustration and everone's
just going to forget history and sign up for more of the same.

As Alex said in response to my previous message:

> Too little, too late, no thanks, I'll just be sticking with
> Distribute from now on.
Several developers and an open development process vs a lone coder
with a closed codebase? That's not really a choice at all...

Sorry, it doesn't look like anyone wants to play with you any more;
you can just keep your ball.

Maybe you could submit some patches into the open Distribute process.
Now _that_ would be helpful.