[Distutils] the virtualenv-distribute mess

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 13 00:35:19 CEST 2009

At 08:09 AM 10/12/2009 +0000, Reinout van Rees wrote:
>OTOH, grumbl ... horrible breakage ... essential piece of infrastructure ...
>allowed to persist....  I'm pretty grumpy right now.

Relax, take a deep breath, and then easy_install setuptools==dev or
setuptools==dev06.  ;-)

It turned out to be easier than I expected to clean up pretty much
all the outstanding (i.e. in the tracker) bugs this weekend, although
that was mainly due to avoiding overhead by reading all the bugs
together and making the changes more-or-less simultaneously.

In this case, it was prompted mainly by the unfortunate,
policy-breaking change to Python 2.6.3, but I'm thinking that maybe a
quarterly Bug Weekend and subsequent maintenance release for
setuptools might not be a bad thing.