[Distutils] tracking requested vs dependency installs in PEP 376 metadata

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Mon Oct 12 02:06:05 CEST 2009

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>>> IMHO that is a bad experience for the user, because it is very
>>> unintuitive
>>> that I have to explicitly install something that's already installed to
>>> ensure that it doesn't go away in the future.
>>
>> But this is how all installs/uninstalls work and MUST work. If you
>> uninstall the software that you use, then you can't use it. It's a
>> simple necessity of life.
>
> Sigh.
>
> 1) Install TurboGears, this installs simplejson as one of its dependencies
>
> 2) Notice that simplejson gets installed and is a useful module, then
> use that in your own scripts
>
> 3) Uninstall TurboGears
>
> With proposal of tracking which packages are installed as a dependency
> of other packages and automaticly uninstalling them when the package
> that depends on them gets uninstalled step 3 would break my scripts
> unless I explictly tell the installer that I really want to use
> simplejson in step 2.

You really need to evaluate the dependency graph when uninstalling, a
simple bit doesn't help.

Image step 2B above: install Yapper, which uses simplejson.

Even if step 3 wants to uninstall simplejson, it now needs to know that
other installed "module distributions" (as the term is used by
distutils) depend on it.

Eric.