[Distutils] the virtualenv-distribute mess

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Oct 9 17:58:39 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 5:54 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> kiorky wrote:
>>
>> Hi Lennart,
>>
>> If i read 'virtualenv-distribute 1.3.4.2 on pypi'
>> I can  do some googling or even do some Pypi searching for
>>  'virtualenv-distribute'.
>>
>> Thus, the first link found may be [1].
>>
>> On this link, the second sentence is:
>>
>> """
>> The fork was started by Philip Jenvey at
>> http://bitbucket.org/pjenvey/virtualenv-distribute/ and this version by
>> Florian
>> Schulze lives at http://bitbucket.org/fschulze/virtualenv-distribute/
>
> Add http://bitbucket.org/kiorky/virtualenv-distribute/ to the list and this,
> ladies and gentlemen, is why distributed source control sucks.

I think one (pjenvey) was an experiment, and another is actually a
released virtualenv-distribute package (updating the name in setup.py,
etc).  And the third, I dunno.

Anyway -- I'm reluctant to switch virtualenv to distribute right now,
as I'm not confident it is ready for people to use distribute without
even realizing it.  Because if someone just upgrades virtualenv and
starts using it, they'll get whatever virtualenv is distributed with.
I'd be happy to include a --distribute option if someone wants to
repackage one of these forks to include both setuptools and distribute
support.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker