[Distutils] Package install failures in 2.6.3 - setuptools vs Distribute

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:32:06 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:21 PM, ssteinerX at gmail.com <ssteinerx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2009, at 7:44 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>
>> 2009/10/5 Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com>:
>>>
>>> This is a problem, it means 2.6.3 is not a simple drop-in replacement for
>>> 2.6.2 but requires the replacement of another component as well.  That can
>>> be a problem in organizations with strict configuration management where you
>>> cannot install new software without going to lots of red tape (and that
>>> might involve lawyers when you install a new package instead of upgrading an
>>> existing one).
>>
>> Sure, but that would have happened sooner or later anyway. Is it
>> really so bad that it happens now instead of say, in half a year? I
>> don't see why it's such a big deal. Sorry, but I don't.
>
> It's not the happening, it's the happening without a deprecation, warnings,
> announcements etc. deserved by a change that affects so much of the Python
> eco-system.

I am not going to add deprecation warnings in Distutils when I see
that Setuptools
is being used...

And unfortunately we are not responsible for the setuptools project, and we
can't drive what is happening there.

About a year and a half ago, I did hit another monkey-patch problem
with setuptools,
after a change in Distutils, I have told PJE about it, and he answered
that Distutils
should revert that change (concerns Python 2.7) to continue working
with setuptools 0.6cx.

But that change was made upon Distutils users requests at
bugs.python.org and was perfectly
fine and wanted. So it was applied, because I won't tell Distutils
users : no, you can't have
it because Setuptools would turn to be incompatible with it one day.

The proper answer is : Setuptools is on the top of Distutils and has
to evolve with it.
And since it monkey patches it, it has to be changed when a Distutils
release breaks it.

Now for our problem today the proper answer is: Setuptools 0.6c10 should be
released or Distribute used because Distribute is actively maintained

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org | オープンソースはすごい! | 开源传万世,因有你参与