[Distutils] something else to throw into the static metadata mix

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 09:09:39 CEST 2009

Chris Galvan wrote:
> I like your thoughts here, but there currently isn't a way to
> distinguish between an egg that contains binaries that were linked
> statically vs. dynamically.  It seems like in that case we would need
> some distinguishing flag in an egg name to signify it was linked
> statically, and at that point it seems like we are trying to do too much.

Interestingly, I read that as "we currently use the egg name as a source
of static metadata, and it's getting 'too full' to be used for that" ;-)

I'm guessing the static metadata that we've been vigorously discussing
would be the place to keep this kind of information, and the filename
should no longer matter?

This would certainly help with things like PIL, which is constantly
being repackaged because setuptools didn't like the name that the Effbot
chose...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk