[Distutils] Bundling pkg_resources

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Nov 30 18:57:01 CET 2009

At 02:09 PM 11/30/2009 +0000, Ram Rachum wrote:
>I've asked before about bundling Distribute. But now I ask, is it possible to
>pull out the `pkg_resources` module from the Distribute folder and
>bundle only
>that with my project?

If your project is a standalone application with a completely
isolated sys.path, then yes, you can bundle it.  If your project is a
library or shares sys.path directories with other libraries or
applications, then no, *do not bundle it*.

(This is true even for the original pkg_resources, but it's doubly
true for Distribute's pkg_resources, as installing it may break a
setuptools-based installation's ability to upgrade setuptools.)