[Distutils] Bundling pkg_resources

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 17:10:21 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Ram Rachum <cool-rr at cool-rr.com> wrote:
> I've asked before about bundling Distribute. But now I ask, is it possible to
> pull out the `pkg_resources` module from the Distribute folder and bundle only
> that with my project?

Technically, yes : it's a standalone module that depends only on the stdlib.

What would be the use case for this ?  I don't think it's the best
practice to bundle
other projects modules like that in most cases.

> Also, is that `pkg_resources` module different than the one that comes with
> setuptools?

It is the same API and behavior.  It has a few internals changes though to deal
with the incompatibility with the Setuptools project, but is meant to work
as a full replacement.

Regards,
Tarek