[Distutils] PEP 386 status - last round here ?

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 15:31:59 CET 2009

On Nov 27, 2009, at 7:31 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> [..]
>>> don't worry about Debian, we'll simply replace "-" with "~" (we use "~"
>>> and "+" right now[0]). I'm not sure about rpm, but I bet it has
>>> something similar and it will be much easier for us to simply handle two
>>> characters instead of recognizing that dev1 < a1 < b1 < c1 == rc1 ...
>>
>> It's different from RPMs, since they use a strcmp(), segment  by segment,
>> so I think they have to extract the dev/post suffixes and to put them in front
>> as an epoch marker maybe ? (ccing Toshio)
>>
> That makes me think that a nice add-on to the lib and the PEP would be
> to provide APIs to translate a Python PEP 386 version to a Debian/Ubuntu or RPM ones -
> and any major packaging system out there. (whatever scheme we pick)

Wouldn't it be cool if the package that goes along with this PEP became the standard version checker used by ALL of these distributions?

It's not like they don't have Python interpreters around...

What would that API have to look like?  Maybe start a doc in the repo to hold that spec as we develop it?

I'm still very interested in the increment_version functionality we talked about earlier so that we could have our build process automatically up our release version numbers so we have a standard way of maintaining incremental versioning.