[Distutils] zc.buildout usage in the real world

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 09:22:41 CET 2009

kiorky wrote:
>>> ${buildout:directory}/patches/debug_toolbar_sqlpanel.diff
>
>> This kind of patching makes me nervous...
> why ? patches are a common way to 'patch' code.

Maybe 10 years ago. With a DVCS, or even a non-d VCS for that matter,
why would you need to apply patches like this, which would need to be
re-done with every release of the software you're patching, when you can
let the (D)VCS do the hard work and cut your own sdist that has any
patching done already the way you want it?

>> ...but then minitage as a whole makes me nervous, I just don't trust it,
>> but I'm afraid I couldn't tell you why. Gut feeling...
>
> Do not spread your personal fud, Chris. Moreover without arguments.

*shrugs* Everyone's entitled to their own opinion...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk