[Distutils] PEP 386 status - last round here ?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 27 02:41:04 CET 2009

At 07:55 PM 11/26/2009 +0000, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 01:08:34PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > Examples:
> >
> >   3.2.0a0.20091125
> > < 3.2.0a1
> > = 3.2.0_alpha_1
>
>Frankly I find this confusing.  I'm fine with 'alpha' being a synonym
>for 'a' but the underscores just confuse things IMHO.

They're also not backwards-compatible with the current schemes being
used by setuptools and its derivatives (Distribute, pip, buildout,
etc.), which interprets underscores differently.

(Technically, an underscore should never be in a version, since
underscores are used in filenames as an escaped version of a dash.)