[Distutils] PEP 345 update + RFC on "Requires-External" and "Requires-Python"

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 19:59:25 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Answering to Frank here too:
>
> We can suppose that a program that works with Jython, can safely use jython
> versions in Requires-Python,
>
> unless it's possible for a given program to run on CPython *and* Jython
> and that it's impossible to use a common MAJOR.MINOR version ?
I think it will be very rare to find a program that works on both but
only on different MAJOR.MINOR versions. It is *possible* - for
example, we have an ast.py in Jython 2.5 even though CPython does not
get this until 2.6 (ast.py as a replacement for pyc bytecode
manipulation was just too compelling for us to ignore).

-Frank