[Distutils] Please help me use PyPI

Ram Rachum cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Tue Nov 17 18:33:10 CET 2009

Comments inline.

Chris Withers <chris <at> simplistix.co.uk> writes:

> Ram Rachum wrote:
> > (1.) I have 4 different forks for my project for Python versions 2.4, 2.5,
2.6
> > and 3.1. Should they all be on the same name in PyPI?
>
> Yes.

Sounds good. But I am confused. I see in my PyPI page here:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/garlicsim/0.1

That I have a source distribution "garlicsim-0.1.zip". How can anyone know
whether it's the source distribution for 2.5 or 2.6?

> > (2.) I'm trying to upload an MSI. I'm doing `setup.py bdist_msi register
> > upload`. It builds the project and the setup script finishes, but then I
get:

> >     error: garlicsim-0.1: No such file or directory
> >
> > And no .msi file is uploaded to PyPi. Why?
>
> It doesn't look like your project built successfully.
> Just do setup.py bdist_msi. When you find a .msi in your build
> directory, then try the upload command.

I'm not getting an .msi file in my build directory, but I do get a "garlicsim-
0.1.win32-py2.6.msi" in my dist directory. What's going on?

> > (3.) I tried uploading my 2.5 fork. It asks me to identify, I do, it gives
an OK
> > response (which doesn't happen unless the identification is right), but then
it
> > claims I didn't identify! Why?
> >

> >     [...]
> >     removing 'build\bdist.win32\egg' (and everything under it)
> >     running register
> >     We need to know who you are, so please choose either:
> >      1. use your existing login,
> >      2. register as a new user,
> >      3. have the server generate a new password for you (and email it to
you),
> > or
> >      4. quit
> >     Your selection [default 1]:  1
> >     Username: coolRR
> >     Password:
> >     Server response (200): OK
> >     running upload
> >     Submitting dist\garlicsim-0.1.zip to http://pypi.python.org/pypi
> >     Upload failed (401): You must be identified to edit package information
>
> Dunno on this one. Have you since solved this?
> I see your .zip there:
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/garlicsim

I haven't, this problems happens on the 2.5 fork. (Haven't tried the others
yet.)