[Distutils] PEP 345 update + RFC on "Requires-External" and "Requires-Python"

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 12:30:13 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> Last, "Requires-Python" is introduced to define the version of Python.
> I am not sure this is required anymore since Martin has added a Trove
> classifier
> for this.

I don't think Trove classifiers have anything to do with this.
Otherwise, we could move *all* the requirements stuff into trove
classification which buys us nothing more than having to maintain a huge
list of trove classifiers.

I like the idea of Requires-Python, but only because I don't see why
Python can't just be specified in the equivalent of setuptools'
install_requires and its ilk.

Why can't python just be treated as another package on while a package
my have a particular version dependency?

Chris