[Distutils] Making a tar.gz source distribution

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:50:36 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
[..]

>> That's historical and not true anymore. -> the current trunk uses tarfile, etc.
>
> I didn't know that you had fixed it on the trunk. AFAIK, it is still
> true that  every released version of Python has this bug.

Well, it's not a bug. It's an enhancement. Python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6
work as advertised:

http://docs.python.org/distutils/sourcedist.html

"...requires external utilities: tar and possibly one of gzip, bzip2,
or compress..."

That's why it wasn't backported to the 2.6 series.

Now there's no more need for such external programs:

http://docs.python.org/2.7/distutils/sourcedist.html

(except the "compress" program but this compression format will be abandoned and
 comes with a deprecation warning in 2.7)

Tarek