[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:36:14 CET 2009

On Nov 11, 2009, at 4:39 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> If nobody is willing to write the code, the code is not needed.

I think it would be more accurate to say that nobody is deciding that
the "need" is sufficient to invest the resources to fill it.

There are lots of things that many people would be willing and able to
write, that would fill a great "need", and that many people would
benefit from, but that aren't getting written because there's no one
willing to invest the time or money.

In come cases people are both willing and able, but unable to invest
the time due to the pressing need to make a living.  I'd love to work
on open source all day, but my wife and kids get cranky if they don't
eat for a couple of days.

People don't always agree on what is the "rational" need to fill, and
sometimes what we, as programmers "need", and know would make us more
productive, is not what the people controlling the pursestrings are
willing to finance, even if it would ultimately benefit them
financially.