[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 9 05:51:46 CET 2009

Robert Kern wrote:
> After all, it is trying to behave like a regular command line program
> that interacts with users, not developers. This is easily overridable
> for developers who are trying debug problems by setting the
> environment variable DISTUTILS_DEBUG=1. This will make distutils just
> give the traceback.

I did not know about that option, thanks.

The last example I remember was python 2.6 breaking our mingw support:
the raised exception was an empty message, so you got a "error:" as your
error message when the exception was caught in setup. I am not sure it
is better than a traceback: maybe distutils could separate between
'expected' and 'unexpected' exceptions to make this clearer.

David