[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Sun Nov 8 01:10:23 CET 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 3:32 PM, Jannis Leidel wrote:

> Oh, intriguing idea, has moving distutils out of Python core been
> considered before?

To be clear, I'm not suggesting moving anything in or out of the
standard library. Just taking what's in the standard library and
packaging it up, and allowing for releases of these packages to happen
on PyPI (or for people to more easily include VCS checkouts of these
packages in their Buildouts or Pip-outs). The main Python interpreter
download would still include the same standard library packages (or
whatever the python-dev wants to be in there), and they would still be
installed in the same way, just with the addition of .egg-info files
to make them PEP 376 compliant (right now wsgiref in the standard
library has an .egg-info but it's an exception).

It's been considered before (Chris Withers was recently asking for
it), and perhaps before that. I was kvetching about this on the stdlib-
sig last month, where I outlined some of the other problems that not
having standard packaging for the standard library presents:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/stdlib-sig/2009-October/000721.html