[Distutils] Bundling Distribute

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 00:09:22 CET 2009

2009/11/5 Sridhar Ratnakumar <sridharr at activestate.com>:
> 1. Not having to deal build errors (due to missing libs or corrupt lib
> installations)

Then you need to compile the libs statically, and then you open up
another can of worms with incompatibilities there.

> 2. Not having to have a compiler suite installed (VS, xcode)

If you install a python library, you have those installed. (Except on Windows).

> 3. Installing binaries take less time than for source (which you have to
> compile)

Which is only relevant of you have massive amounts of C-code. Even big
projects take 15 seconds instead if 3 seconds. Hardly a big problem.

> 4. Support for binary repositories (eg: pypm.activestate.com) where you can
> put custom builds (eg: launchpad repos)

This I don't understand.

> Point (1) and (2) are very important for Windows.

Yes. Which is why I explicitly said that you shouldn't distribute
binaries, except for Windows.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64