[Distutils] PEP 376 -- support for release versions?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 23:20:05 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
> Generally speaking, it is desirable to distinguish between the upstream
> package's version and the build number rather than munging them together.
> You never know when the upstream package will decide that they need to make
> a really quick bugfix release and just append ".1". The main package version
> is and should remain entirely under the control of the upstream developers,
> not the binary packagers. However, the binary packagers need a place to mark
> revisions of the binary packages distinct from the upstream sources.

I see. The question is: do we want to handle this at Distutils level
(e.g. by adding a new metadata
field as I said in my earlier mail), or is this to be done by the
package manager that is on the top
of Python on the target system (pypm, debian dpkg, etc..) and can
drive installations with PEP 376 's
APIs we have described earlier.

I would say the latter is the best pick.

Tarek