[Distutils] [issue89] easy_install silently drop symlinks when auto-extracting tarball source distributions

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 12:13:20 CET 2009

2009/11/2 Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com>:
> Sorry, that was meant to go to the list, not as a personal comment to Tarek.

No problem.

>> Can we please avoid this flaring up into another Tarek vs PJE fight?
>>
>> FWIW, I'm mildly annoyed by setuptools tracker emails appearing here,
>> but I live with it. I suggest others do the same.

I don't want to get into a fight (but I am getting used at receiving
personal attacks and try not flame things) ,
but these notifications, among other things, makes it unclear that the
Setuptools project is a distinct project from Distutils.

For example, I am sometimes receiving mails from people complaining
that easy_install doesn't work right
and that Distutils should be fixed.

It's great that Distutils-SIG host several projects, especially since
many people want to have a unified
project for the packaging topic.

But these notifications have to be straightened up, and I don't see
any rationale yet why they should stay in this list.

Tarek