[Distutils] Utility to mirror an egg index from a Debian distribution

Brian Sutherland brian at vanguardistas.net
Fri May 15 13:00:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

It may seem like a backwards way of doing things, but I have a need for
a utility that can maintain a python package index mirror of a Debian
repository.

The basic idea is to extract the tarballs of Python packages from the
Debian repository and rename them to the original setuptools name. It
should also create a buildout-compatible versions file of the versions
in the repository.

My current implementation idea is to unpack the tarball and use the
egg-metadata to figure out what the "egg" name of the tarball should be.

Does such a tool exists? If not, I'll probably start working on one on
svn.zope.org Real Soon Now (TM). Comments, suggestions much
appreciated!

--
Brian Sutherland