[Distutils] Adding entry points into Distutils ?

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Thu May 7 16:38:36 CEST 2009

On May 7, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Eric Smith wrote:
>> Doug Hellmann wrote:

>>> I write a python script call hello.py like this:
>>>
>>>    #!/usr/bin/env python
>>>
>>>    def main():
>>>        print 'hello!'
>>>
>>>    if __name__ == '__main__':
>>>        main()
>>>
>>> Why make me define an entry point for that?  I can just put it in
>>> /usr/bin or somewhere in the path on Windows and call it as
>>> "hello.py".
>>>
>>> Does setuptools give me something extra for Windows?  I'm not a
>>> regular
>>> Windows user, so it's likely that there are features I don't know
>>> about.
>>
>> Yes. It creates a .exe wrapper [1]. By using entry points, I don't
>> need
>> to care what the target system is. Also, /usr/bin/env might invoke
>> the
>> wrong python.
>
> Exactly:  using entry points for console scripts guarantees that the
> python into which the corresponding distribution is installed is the
> one
> used to run the script, which is *highly* desirable.  Otherwise, you
> end
> up with the "just install everything in the system Python's
> site-packages" mess.

pip installs my scripts into a virtualenv without any issue and
without using entry points, AFAICT.

I guess if we move to requiring entry points and disallowing simple
script distribution I'll need to find another way to package
virtualenvwrapper.  Since it's a bash script, it doesn't have entry
points.  I've been using setuptools to package it so it can be
installed via easy_install, since it is a Python development tool.

Doug