[Distutils] Adding entry points into Distutils ?

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:40:51 CEST 2009

On May 5, 2009, at 10:38 AM, P.J. Eby wrote:

> At 08:41 AM 5/5/2009 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> I don't want new functionality available to an application just
>> because someone has permission to install a package somewhere in the
>> PYTHONPATH.  I would rather have plugins added to an app through an
>> explicit configuration step of some sort.
>
> Note that this is not incompatible with entry points; an application
> can simply treat entry points as a list of *available* plugins,
> rather than as a list of *active* plugins.  Chandler, for example,
> does this for user-level plugins.

That's good.  I wasn't sure if registering an entry point caused it to
be automatically loaded in an app that expressed interest in it, or if
there was a step the app could take to verify that it was desirable
code before doing any imports.  Earlier messages in this thread made
me think there was no "protection" from a registered plugin.