[Distutils] Fixing parallel installs with easy_install / setuptools

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Mar 12 19:54:41 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:09:03PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Also, has any serious thought been put into maybe taking the package
> name, producing specific mnemonic based .pth files for the particular
> package, and just installing this way, e.g.:
>
> pexpect -> pexpect.pth
> nose -> nose.pth
>
> etc. I have seen some packages do this and maybe this is the quicker /
> dirtier route to do this, but it's also the simplest route to go
> whilst avoiding collisions with packages, from my point of view, and
> it's not incredibly complex at all. Furthermore, it kind of lends
> itself to other packaging methods like pkg_install (FreeBSD),
> pkgconfig, etc etc. This would be good especially because easy_install
> doesn't allow multiple versions by default... The only real loss is
> that the interpreter would have to open up a number of .pth files
> which would potentially slow down the machine because of I/O access,
> but the number of python packages on a heavily populated system should
> be under 20~50 I'd think, so the number seems negligible

That's a rather optimistic assumption.

  $ ls /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/|wc -l
  276

Admittedly, those are all installed with apt-get and not with
easy_install.  But here's a Zope-3-based Python app:

  $ wc -l /home/mg/src/schooltool/eggs/easy-install.pth
  114 /home/mg/src/schooltool/eggs/easy-install.pth

Marius Gedminas
--
We have an advanced scalable groupware communication environment (email)
	-- Alan Cox