[Distutils] PEP 376 for Distutils

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Mar 4 21:12:12 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> I wonder why they don't just use the sitewide distutils.cfg file, which
> would let them configure user-installed packages to go to somewhere else,
> e.g.:
>
> [install]
> prefix = /usr/local
>
> (And of course the build tools could specify different options.)

Some systems do this.  I've found this problematic with virtualenv, as
people get weird results because they don't realize this configuration
file exists.  Also there's no way currently in distutils to unset a
value, so if something like prefix is given explicitly there's no way
to indicate it should be calculated (you just have to give an explicit
value for --prefix).

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org