[Distutils] easy_install fails on sourceforge?

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Jun 30 06:33:24 CEST 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:19:25 -0700, "Sridhar Ratnakumar"
> Just throwing out some ideas:
>
> Wouldn't it be better for package authors to register their packages in
> PYPI?

It already exists (be it in command line form). See:

http://docs.python.org/distutils/uploading.html

> They don't have to upload the entire tarball .. but even giving a
> /direct link/ to this would be sufficient. Would providing pypi plugin
> that uploads sdist's to SourceForge (or freshmeat, so on) make this
> process easier for package authors? Maybe then the network effect will
> make setuptools not rely too much on the unreliable download logic .. as

> eventually most SF packages would have a download link on PyPI for every

> subsequent release.

imho the distutils core code is quite good. But it is a little unfriendly
to those who don't like command lines (like me - because I can't remember
them)

I've been tossing around doing a GUI interface for building packages
and doing the pypi upload. I think a lot can be done to improve the
process too.

But you too can play a part to imrove things being at ActiveState..

Why don't you have a look at building in the Python Package Manager into
ActivePython. After all, ActivePerl has a package manager.. why can't
the same thing be available to python users?

Regards

David