[Distutils] more easyinstall error messages - haha

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Jun 18 13:54:35 CEST 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:19:13 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Let's suppose you have all your code 100% covered in tests (wich is
> not the case in 99.99% of the packages).

Sure. Ok, developers don't write enough tests...

They don't have time... it's not fun.... can't be bothered...

But lets be realistic, there's too many python versions now...

too many platforms...

why can't we do automated builds/tests to cut down the work for
developers...

> So you run the test using all Python versions (which supposes you have
> *all* Python versions installed, which is not the case on 99% of the
> people systems out ther)

Think of it like this....

We give python 3.1 the crown....

and write the code for that, that can regressively test any code
backwards a package on all the old python versions..

thus, our latest python version... has way more power than any
previous version...

> Then what happens ? Do you store the result in the metadata ? Like, by
> setting up the Requires-Python field with the output ?

I didn't think of that... it's an excellent idea...

Think of how much work that could save...

> Frankly, you could just explicitely mark the Python version your code
> is suppose to run with,

but it would be more fun as you say if it was determined programmatically
by distutils based on running some analysis of the actual code....

David