[Distutils] Distutils functionality questions/clarifications...

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 00:44:14 CEST 2009

2009/6/2 David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net>:

>>> Remove from circulation.
>>
>> Seems a bit drastic, given that very many people rely on them... What
>> do you propose to replace them with?
>
> Let me clarify it...
>
> Installers for Apllications imho are just fine.. because users expect
> that...
>
> but installers for what are essentially data files .. python packages
> is imho not right.

OK, I accept that is your view. But without a concrete proposal for
what I should use in place of (say) pywin32-213.win32-py2.6.exe to
install the pywin32 package into my Python 2.6 installation on my PC,
I don't see what you are suggesting to replace bdist_wininst
installers.

Eggs? If so, there are well-documented discussions over why some
people (myself included) don't like eggs. There's no point in
rehashing those discussions unless you have something new to add.

> It's best done through pypi....
>
> and a Package Manager haha

Again, that's been talked about a lot. Until someone develops such a
thing, I can't comment (other than to say that I suspect it's harder
than you'd think to please everyone who currently uses bdist_wininst
installers - which you'd have to do if you want to get rid of them).

Paul.