[Distutils] [Distribute] Python 3 porting effort - plans proposal for 0.7/0.8

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:56:08 CEST 2009

2009/7/23 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
> I am not sure what to look at in there, do you have a place in there
> that is based on setuptools trunk ?
> Does it work with 2.x and 3.x at the same time ?

Yes, via 2to3 which for good reasons are the official way of
supporting both Python 2.x and 3.x at the same time.

> For all the backwards incompatibility Python 3 introduced.

OK, then I understand the question. The answer is: 2to3.

Having two branches is still a terrible idea, which just gives the
developers more work, and creates lots of code duplication. I
understand that this is not how it's done with Python itself, as
mentioned, but this is not Python itself. I understand you arguments
that it's not "much work". But it's still work that is not necessary.

> But It's quite important imho to have the best strategy for next
> releases, and I can't picture the same branch with bits of 2.x and 3.x syntax in it.

You don't have that. You write for Python 2, and convert it with 2to3.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64