[Distutils] [Distribute] What versions should we support?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 12:42:05 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Lennart Regebro<regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/17 Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu>:
>> Yes. The current setuptools 0.6c9 release claims to be compatible with
>> Python 2.3 to 2.6. I'd like to maintain that same promise for the 0.6
>> release series. I don't see Python 3.x support as mandatory for these
>> maintenance releases. It's a new feature which can go into a new major
>> release. It's likely to be somewhat disruptive to do while retaining
>> support for all older releases.
>
> Also, supporting both 2.3 and 3.1 is a LOT of work, even when using
> 2to3. I'd be happy to be able to drop both 2.3 and 2.4 support in the
> Python 3 branch.

I don't think it's a lot of work to stick on 2.3 for 0.6, and yes,
let's drop any Python 3 support for it completely.

For Python 3 if we can't manage to have 2.5 to 3.2 support (I didn't
look at the porting problem myself yet so
I don't know) maybe you can start to work on another branch Lennart,
that will drop 2.x support
and focus on 3.x support.

Maybe that could be the 0.8 branch.

So what about this :

- 0.6.x : 2.3 to 2.6 support
- 0.7.x : 2.7 support, and 2.8 if it exists.  2.5 and 2.6 support if
the Distutils 2.7 backport is installed.
- 0.8.x and up : 3.2 and up

Cheers
Tarek

--