[Distutils] py2exe - COM Server DLL can't be referenced by VB6 or VS2003

J.D. Main jdmain at comcast.net
Mon Jul 13 17:01:08 CEST 2009

Hi Guys,

Hopefully this is the place to ask this question.

I have written a COM server with a few trivial string methods to test the
integration of Python and VB (and Visual Studio).  I have run it through
py2exe and created a DLL that actually does register and Windows seems
to be happy with it.  I can access the methods of this COM object with
Python and VBA and, sure enough, it works.    That's awesome.

However, it can not be added as a reference to a VB6 or a VS2003 project.
Both say it's not a valid DLL and it doesn't show up in any of their "reference
object" lists.  That basically means it's not available for use in that
environment.  In addition, any sort of code completion or call tips will never
function.

So my question is this:  is there some special interface vodoo that needs to
be put in my code or my py2exe setup in order to get this COM server truly
visible and accessible within VB6 or Visual Studio?

Also, is there even more interface stuff so the code completion/call-tips stuff
works?

I would love to hear about any experience you may have with all this.

Best Regards,

J.D.