[Distutils] "setup.py needs to go away" (was [PEP 376] - Open questions on python-dev)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Jul 10 13:39:56 CEST 2009

Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2009, at 1:21 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> I think it is important that people who come from different communities
>> participate to this: people who work on web development have problems
>> which are mostly orthogonal to mine, but I get the impression that most
>> people on distutils-sig fall in this category.
>

> I don't think this perspective is reflective so much of web
> development as of application development.  Those of us who work on
> web applications need to provide working applications, often with hard
> scalability and reliability requirements.  We need to have control
> over how our applications are assembled so we can test known
> configurations and deploy them in a repeatable way. I think this would
> apply equally well to other sorts of applications.

>From what I read on this ML and elsewhere, it seems that there is a key
difference between 'webapp' and conventional applications deployment.
For webapp, the developer and the one who install is often the same
person, or at least a person with the same 'culture'. Normal
applications are targeted at end users and that makes for a lot of
difference.

On the end user side, .pth, eggs, sys.path hacks are a never-ending
source of troubles. For this reasons I am very skeptical about things
which encourage to install multiple, 'system-wide', packages, because it
does not go into the right direction for the end-user IMO. Not in the
current state of python and its import system, at least.

Controlling how the application is assembled, in which configuration is
important - but it should not have consequences on other packages. If an
application needs a very precise version of a given library, when
deployed, this library should not be visible to other packages IMHO. It
would make a lot of issues easier: uninstall support, 'queryable'
system, etc... would stay tractable. Because with the current situation
with eggs, sys.path hacks and co, I don't see how it is possible to have
a reliable system which support uninstall and rollback. That's already a
difficult enough problem as it is. Flexibility at this level is an
anti-goal.

> Other folks are focussed on making libraries available to a large
> audience of developers and sometimes even end users.  For example, I
> guess that numpy and a lot of related tools are often or usually used
> in ad hoc one-off scripts for analysis of data.

Yes, but it is also used as a basis for applications as well. One of the
thing I would really like to see is something ala cran (related to the
statistical software R), where people could, inside a numpy/scipy
environment, ask for a list of packages according to a list of keywords,
install them and uninstall them reliably. Without the need to be an
admin on their machine. From this perspective, I think there are a lot
of common goals with people who use easy_install and co. But at least I
am not satisfied with the current implementations and their lack of
robustness.

cheers,

David