[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Jan 29 18:51:05 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Josselin Mouette <joss at debian.org> wrote:

> Le mercredi 28 janvier 2009 à 13:16 -0600, Ian Bicking a écrit :
> > As you mention, there would have to be some extension to pkg_resources
> > (or an equivalent library) to handle finding these files at runtime.
> > Getting a runtime in place is probably the harder thing, as it is more
> > intrusive for the upstream developers.
>
> As I have already explained in the previous discussion, this could
> easily be solved just like autoconf does, with an automatically
> generated config.py file that would hold all variables set at build
> time.

"Easily solved" is a misstatement -- you can lead a horse to water, but you
can't make him drink.  In this case, you can provide infrastructure for
library authors, but you can't make them use it.  The solution has to be
sufficiently simple that people who don't care at all about FHS or Linux
packages won't find it onerous to use, because if they do find it onerous
then they won't use it.

But anyway, where would this config.py go and what would it look like?

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org