[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:27:28 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:18 PM, zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:
>> So I don't have (I think no one does at this point) any clear view of what
>> could be done in this area.
>
> I don't understand what are the potential problems, but so far I've been
> happy using stdeb to produce .deb's from my Python sdists.

I guess it is perfectly fine if you are your own debian packager.

The problem I see is when people that builds packages and are not
their own debian packagers.

For example, if my application has a log file, it is better under
Debian to have it in /var/log/xxx

In the meantime, for the same application, I don't want to bother
under win32 about that, the log can leave inside the package
for instance.

So how can I describe in my package, that I will have a log file, and
how can the Debian packager
can tell to my package that it has to be in /var/log/... ?

In other words, what would be the new metadata we could put in the
setup.py in the package to minimize
the work to be done on stdeb side ?

Regards
Tarek