[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:10:44 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Mark Sienkiewicz <sienkiew at stsci.edu> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> I am working on the survey here :
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Packaging%20Survey
>>

> One of the survey questions asks:
>
>> Would you like to see Python's Distutils package provide an uninstall
>> command that removes just the files installed, and cleanup the .pth, even if
>> it does undesirable things ? (one answer)
>
> Why would you ask that?  Is there some reason that we can't have an
> uninstall that works correctly?

There are possible side-effects: what would happen if one of the file
installed on your
system is used by other elements in the system ? (Python is not the almighty OS)

On the other hand, it's OK most of the time.

(I'll add some links to previous discussion from this ML on the topic)

Regards
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org