[Distutils] Python package Management GUI - New Project on Sourceforge

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Feb 3 23:28:40 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 18:48:15 +0100, Sebastien Douche <sdouche at gmail.com>
wrote:
>>>  - fetches packages from http://pypi.python.org/pypi using
>>>    their XML-RPC interface.
>>
>> Surely this is something that should be done by the package management
>> library, making it available in one place for each front-end tool; not
>> implemented in a specific front-end tool?
>
> Right, for example if you use cache/mirror.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

As I work through the issues I have discovered that a number of the
installation libries support this functionality. That is pip and some
others. I don't think it is in setuptools yet. So I am putting provision
for that functionality in the gui from the start.

>From a developer perspective, what we need most is a list of packages that
we have installed (a manifest?) and then a way perphaps bundle all those
packages into one (file?).. and put them to our client machines in one
go...

At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any easy way of managing ones
installed packages. ie even finding help or documentation on ones packages
is quite difficult. That is what I am hoping to address.

That functionality is way down the track for me too....

I'm just trying to get the real simple stuff working first..... :-)

This is a screenshot so far...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonpkgmgr/#item3rd-2

Regards

David