[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Dec 24 13:17:58 CET 2009

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> The benefits are not to the package users, clearly.

That should immediately make us suspicious, then.

If PyPI is for anything, surely it is for the package recipients *more
than* for package developers.

> Instead, they are to the package authors, which don't have to change
> their release processes (as also described in this thread).

The needs of package developers are important, of course; but, I argue,
always in the service of making packages available to recipients.

Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> writes:

> Forcing people to do what you think they should do will not make them
> make more or better work. It will just make them do *less* work.

That isn't a good argument. By the same logic, PyPI should not reject
*any* upload, to avoid “forcing” uploaders to do extra work.

No, PyPI needs to reject uploads on some criteria; those criteria will
necessarily involve work (whether manual or automated) on the part of
uploaders. This discussion is about what those criteria should be.

--
 \            “Why was I with her? She reminds me of you. In fact, she |
  `\                reminds me more of you than you do!” —Groucho Marx |