[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 11:44:27 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 10:25, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
>
>> I think it should be the choice of the package authors whether they
>> upload their software to the central repository, or to their own home
>> page.
>
> Why do you think that should continue?

Because otherwise you can't register packages in PyPI without
uploading them, and that means that those who do not want to upload
them also will not register them.

Forcing people to do what you think they should do will not make them
make more or better work. It will just make them do *less* work. It's
better to figure out why some people don't upload the packages, and if
they have a reasonable reason, fix it.

--
Lennart Regebro: http://regebro.wordpress.com/
I thought I could organize freedom. How Scandinavian of me. --Björk