[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 08:02:47 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 06:06, ssteinerX at gmail.com <ssteinerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now, installing e.g. Twisted, requires finding the website, figuring out which exact file to download, then figuring out exactly how to get it installed.

Nope.

> # super-duper-python-thing-just-like-cpan-only-better -i Twisted
>
> Should do it

$ /opt/python26/bin/virtualenv twist
New python executable in twist/bin/python
Installing setuptools............done.
$ cd twist/
$ bin/easy_install Twisted
Searching for Twisted
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/Twisted/
Reading http://twistedmatrix.com/
Reading http://www.twistedmatrix.com
Reading http://twistedmatrix.com/products/download
Reading http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/
Best match: Twisted 9.0.0
Downloading http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/9.0/Twisted-9.0.0.tar.bz2#md5=93fc2756a09ffd1350c046cc940e4311
Processing Twisted-9.0.0.tar.bz2
[Loads of C-warnings and other stuff removed]
Processing dependencies for Twisted
Searching for zope.interface
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/zope.interface/
Best match: zope.interface 3.5.3
Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/z/zope.interface/zope.interface-3.5.3.tar.gz#md5=1fdb9a77f92d3ada3e795a8c9b58d0c6
Processing zope.interface-3.5.3.tar.gz
Running zope.interface-3.5.3/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
/tmp/easy_install-uz41Wh/zope.interface-3.5.3/egg-dist-tmp-t5Pzjl
Adding zope.interface 3.5.3 to easy-install.pth file

Installed /tmp/twist/lib/python2.6/site-packages/zope.interface-3.5.3-py2.6-linux-i686.egg
Finished processing dependencies for Twisted

Done!

> At least that's what I get from all this...

We have *that*. Two versions of it even, as pip would likely work as well.

--
Lennart Regebro: http://regebro.wordpress.com/
Python 3 Porting: http://python-incompatibility.googlecode.com/