[Distutils] Specifying eggs and build manifest ?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 03:48:39 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:42 AM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 10:24 AM 12/22/2009 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>>
>>  1 Formally specifying the egg format (and versioning it !) - or is
>> egg format outside distribute goal ?
>
> FYI: http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EggFormats

I know about this page, but it says

"Instead, this is internal documentation for how those concepts and
features are implemented in concrete terms. It is intended for people
who are working on the setuptools code base, who want to be able to
troubleshoot setuptools problems, want to write code that reads the
file formats involved, or want to otherwise tinker with
setuptools-generated files and directories."

So unless this description is not accurate anymore, it is not a
specification. I want to build eggs, without having distutils (and
setuptools) involved at all. I would like to be able to do so while
staying compatible with the existing infrastructure, so that if
someone use my own tool instead of setuptools to produce an egg, it
still works as expected with virtualenv, buildout, etc...

David