[Distutils] [Bug] Failed installation. setuptools-0.6c11.win32-py2.6.exe

Andrey Andreev andreev at iki.fi
Tue Dec 15 22:39:02 CET 2009

Hi,

P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 05:17 PM 12/15/2009 +0100, Andrey Andreev wrote:
>> I had a similar issue on Windows Server 2008 R2. You are probably
>> running Win 7 (64bit). I ran procmon, and found out that the installer
>> is looking for the keys under:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Python\PythonCore
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python\PythonCore
>>
>> so I modified the register.py discussed above to write to
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which solved the issue.
>
> Sounds like maybe there's a problem with either the distutils or the
> Windows Python installer, since either the bdist_wininst isn't checking
> in the right place, or the Windows Python installer isn't registering in
> the right place.  (i.e., this would be an issue with *any* Python
> .exe-based installer on these platforms.)

To make it more specific, my configuration is 64bit Python on 64bit OS.
Therefore it registers under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python\PythonCore

The installer is 32bit, so my OS shows it
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Python\PythonCore
when it requests
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python\PythonCore

The way to handle this would be either to get Python to register under
both registry locations when installed on 64bit Windows (thus making
itself visible to 32bit installers), or to make 64bit installers for the
64bit platform (so the OS would not try to trick them and push the wrong
key). None of those sounds terribly complicated.

Best regards,

Andrey