[Distutils] Splitting distribute in several distributions

Alex Grönholm alex.gronholm at nextday.fi
Wed Aug 12 14:21:00 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw kirjoitti:
> On Aug 12, 2009, at 1:51 AM, Alex Grönholm wrote:
>
>> Looking at PyPI, there seems to be no clear standard on this, though
>> I would say 60% of distribution names are in lower case. Is there a
>> PEP that makes any recommendations either way?
>
> I don't think so, but clearly PEP 8 recommends package names be
> lowercase and it just seems easier to name the distribution the same
> way.  Actually, I'm not even sure what "distribution name" means
> otherwise <wink>.

I don't see any connection between conventions for package names and
conventions for distribution names. As for what "distribution name"
means, the distutils documentation explains the difference between
distributions and packages:
http://docs.python.org/distutils/introduction.html#distutils-specific-terminology
Note that all referenced distributions there have camelCase names.