[Distutils] Distribute and zc.buildout + bootstraping file names + release/branches roadmap

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:26:01 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Tres Seaver<tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

>>> I think this is a bad idea. It can't be that hard to patch buildout to use
>>> distribute instead of setuptools. Running s/setuptools/distribute should do
>>> it...
>>
>> but as I explained earlier, even if buildout uses distribute, you
>> can't prevent an egg
>> out there to have an install_requires with setuptools, leading to the
>> mentionned problem
>> (the install battle)
>
> Why would an egg depending on setuptools cause setuptools to be
> installed:  distribute's "PKG-INFO" will convince the system that
> setuptools is already present?

distribute's "PKG-INFO" doesn't mention setuptools, since its fields are:

name: Distribute
version: 0.6

So when pip or easy_install are asked to install "setuptools" they
will both look for a PKG-INFO
containing:

name: setuptools

> Or are you defending the use of the
> "faked" PKG-INFO (which seems like an absolute requirement to me)?

Yes I am defending the faked PKG-INFO which contains "setuptools" in
the name field,
and 0.6c9 in the version one. For practical reasons its' not a
PKG-INFO I am installing
when Distribute is installed. But in a bootstrap process.

So distribute setup.py file looks like ths:

before_install()
setup(...)
after_install()

and the same code is used by the boostrapping module that replaces ez_setup.py
(which is going to be named in something else after chris feedback)

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org